Friday, January 15, 2010

Theme Day (Best Photo of 2009)



City Daily Photo Blogs hosts a second Theme Day this month for our best photos of 2009.

"Bearing a Blossom," which I chose for this blog's second anniversary last March 23, was easily my favorite again!

I took this picture in Old Live Oak Cemetery, and the red camellia caught my eye. The flower could not have been placed in her hand for long since it hadn't wilted at all. Whoever handed her the camellia, along with strands of Spanish Moss, made my day. I took a LOT of photos before finding this angle where the tree branches and Spanish Moss overhead provide an enchanting, wispy frame.

The tombstone beneath the statue's feet memorializes a young wife who died at age 27 in 1886.

Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

15 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

It's always a special feeling to walk around at cemeteries. It's a good photo and you should be glad that someone helped you out here with the red flower.

Halcyon said...

Great composition on this photo - there is so much going on. I can see why you chose it for your best photo.

Mo said...

This is an excellent photo, it really jumps out on the portal.

Jilly said...

I so love cemetery art and this is just beautiful. Amazing to see the red flower and all that wonderful froth against the stone carving. A lovely choice.

Kate said...

The story of your find is absolutely delightful. Yes, the red flower is a creative focal point. Cemeteries for me are places of quiet and rest and I enjoy roaming around in them. Lots of history too. Incidentally, re. my comment today on visualstpaul: yes, she IS my ONLY granddaughter, which is a silly little exchange we have between us.

Hilda said...

It's so beautiful, eerie and sweet, my hair's standing on end.

brattcat said...

This is a real beauty. Great to see it again.

cieldequimper said...

Romantic and sad and beautiful. Perfect!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Heavenly shot. That red flower really pops.

Lowell said...

You did the right thing. I don't remember this photo, but it is really terrific. The red camelia and the Spanish moss work so well to make it a special picture!

Charlestonjoan said...

Absolutely lovely. I love cemeteries as well and you have a great catch on this one.

Small City Scenes said...

She is gorgeous. I wonder who gave her the red flower. Sad and inspiring. MB

PJ said...

I remember this one, it's the kind of monument I would like to have, RR. She's just lovely here.

Gunn said...

Beautiful and a great photograph.

Unknown said...

Fantastic! First time I see it and I'm glad this was your choice!