Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ribbons, Ribbons

There were plenty of ribbons to go around at the Central Alabama Fair last week,
 most to the folks who still preserve their own food!

Freezing and canning food is what we did in the summer back when I was growing up
...in a hot kitchen with a big window fan
...made even hotter by canners on the stove.
 Gosh, I haven't made any of my grandmama's pear pickle in years!
 I really, really need to get back into this, what with food prices going up.  

Do you preserve food, and I have to wonder if our daughters and granddaughters
 (and sons and grandsons!) are learning how!

3 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I used to can and freeze veggies and fruit when my kids were young. It's great to do when you have a BIG garden.

Kate said...

It has never occurred to me to do any canning. I love to cook but this is not my forte.

Jim Klenke said...

I never had to can or bottle anything, I've heard stories about canning meat and putting it in the basement or cellar and it would stay good.